Digging a bit deeper, I don't seem to be able to list ANY folder contents in my
S3 bucket unless I create that folder wit CF. Any of the existing folders
(created mainly using Transmit) will throw an error:

An error occurred when performing a file operation lastModified on file /temp.

The cause of this exception was: org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemException:
Could not determine the last modified timestamp of "s3://blah.site.com/temp"..

Any ideas? At this stage the S3 support in CF does seem very shaky at best.

Stefan