On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Robert Harrison
<rob...@austin-williams.com> wrote:
>  1.  Your relationship with the client changes and the client wants to take
> the site and move. Now you are faced with either holding the client's site
> hostage or giving away your multi-site base code framework (possibly even to
> a competitor). Neither of those is an attractive option.

It really depends on how you set up the contract and the expectations.
Broadchoice (where I worked in 2008) has a software-as-a-service CMS
which hosts a number of high-profile client sites. It's very clear to
the clients that they're using a multi-tenant SaaS platform and
therefore they know upfront that this isn't a site they can just "take
over" (although there is an option to license the codebase for an
internal installation).

> 2. Also, assume one or more clients keeps coming back to you to make
> adjustments and additions.  Now your code is getting more and more mucked up
> with custom-code exceptions.  That's also not cool. Eventually that will make
> your framework really difficult to manage and upgrade.

At Broadchoice we tackled this by designing a pluggable, modular
architecture for "applications" that could literally be dropped into
the (single) codebase and then configured to be available on any
client sites. The nice thing about this is that one client may pay for
the module to be developed but it's still provided to them as a
service - they're not purchasing the code - and then it can be offered
to other clients, as a paid option if appropriate.

The key is really in deciding whether you're "just" hosting a number
of sites or whether you're offering a "website platform" in a SaaS
model.

You might also want to read Steve "Cutter" Blades blog series about MSOC:

http://blog.cutterscrossing.com/index.cfm/MSOC

At World Singles, we have about 50 sites all running on a single
codebase. Mostly the sites differ in branding and look'n'feel but
there are functional differences between many of the sites, managed
with a similar model to what we used at Broadchoice.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/

-- Margaret At