From: jqdur...@gmail.com [mailto:jqdur...@gmail.com]
Sent: 11 March 2011 18:30
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: RE: Database Lookup - Possible with CF?

It's very easy to do in CF7. However, it appears you don't have the
knowledge or desire to learn. You have to possess one.

On Mar 11, 2011 8:22am, Ian Vaughan <i.vaug...@neath-porttalbot.gov.uk>

wrote:

> Thanks all for your help, I was just investigating if it could be done

> with CF7, but it is looking like a long winded process to get anywhere

> with it.

> If you had CF8+ it is easier because of the new tags but it's looking
as
> though I need to go down the OO route via /NET webforms or MVC2 which

> will be a similar learning curve as trying to get it done in CF7 but
> would give better long term prospects

Getting

> your data from a web service is a completely new discussion. Yes it's

> possible with CF 7 - but what sort of web server? What are the
methods?
> What

> get's returned? There could be dozens of answers to this question. It
is

> simply too broad. Investigate web services using WSDL - or possibly
your
> web

> service is a REST type interface, where the data is returned from a
POST

> request as XML and you parse through it. Either way there's a whole
slew
> of

> possibilities, obstacles and challenges that come with this part of
your

> process. If you want help start experimenting and give us specific
> examples

> of errors or hurdles you are trying to overcome.

> -Mark

as

> below?

target="_blank">http://stackoverflow.com/questions/635565/walk-json-resp
onse-and-populate-fo

> rm-fields-more-efficient-approach.

> You will notice that in this thread, they are using .php to return the

> JSON data.

> Back to your CFC. When you make the AJAX call to your CFC, you will

> want to return JSON data to jQuery. CF 7 doesn't have any built-in

> functions to do this. However, here are two different projects that

> you can use to convert the query data.

> http://www.epiphantastic.com/cfjson/index.php

> http://jsonutil.riaforge.org/

> Both of these project will convert native ColdFusion objects into JSON

> data, so you could pass them a query, structure, or array and they

> will do the conversion. So in your CFC, you would then return the

> converted string, not the original query object.

> Hopefully, this clears things up for you and will get you on the right

> path.

> Dean

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Ian Vaughan

> i.vaug...@neath-porttalbot.gov.uk> wrote:

> > Hi Steve

> > So my CFC would be like this?

> > getting Employee ID">

> > database" returntype="query">

> > select * from employees

> > where

> > form.empid = getEmp.empid

> > How would I then use a AJAX/Json call to populate the remaining form

> > fields from the query in the above CFC? And how does AJAX call the
CFC

> > on Coldfusion 7?

> --

---