Are you looking for help on the db part or constructing the UI display or both?

When it comes to the DB part, I listen to Joe Celko. That dude knows
way more about databases and SQL than any person ought to. Here's an
article of his on messing with hierarchical data in SQL:
http://onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/08/05/hierarchical_sql.html

I know that SQL Server 2008 added in a new datatype for working with
hierarchical data. It's called HierarchyID but I've never used it.
Here's an MSDN article on using it:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc794278.aspx and what seems
to be a slightly more readable blog post about it:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/manisblog/archive/2007/08/17/sql-server-2008-hierarchyid.aspx

As for the UI creation, sounds like a case for either recursive
function calls or else dynamic loops, depending on whether the data
you bring out of the db is presorted or not.

Judah