I know that complex data types (structs, CFCs, queries, COM/JavaObjects,
etc...) are passed by reference, not by value.  But I'm wondering how
that works when storing them in the session scope.

For example, let's say I have a query that returns a really large result
set, and after that query runs I store the query results as a variable
in the session scope.

<cfquery name="variables.qry">
     select    *
     FROM    bigTable
</cfquery>

<cfset session.myQry = variables.qry>

Would the above code just create a reference to the result set already
in memory, or would it actually create a copy of the results in the
session?

In a similar scenario, what would happen if I had a CFC object stored in
the session, then passed my query results to it to be stored in that
CFCs "variables" scope?

<cfquery name="variables.qry">
     select    *
     FROM    bigTable
</cfquery>

<cfset session.myCFC.blah(variables.qry)>

--

Thanks,

Eric Cobb
http://www.cfgears.com