From: "CraigSell" <craigs...@charter.net>
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 1:20 PM
To: "cf-talk" <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>
Subject: Session Variable question

Hi, I was doing some testing my CF pages and got a surprise.  I use
Session
variables to hold certain pieces of user information.  I had always
thought
session variables were unique to a browser session such that each new
browser invocation would get a new, unique session variable that would be
destroyed when the browser closed. The testing I did showed that my
assumption is false and that session variables are held across new browser
invocations.

Then I read the docs (gasp) and find that this is the way it's supposed to
be for CF session variables and that they are cleared only when the
timeout
expires. Sigh.

I can't have this kind of persistence.  I need unique session variables
for
each browser invocation and have them cleared when the browser closes.  I
can't use cookies either.

The documentation implies that switching to J2EE session variables will
create the behavior I desire.  I would give it a go but I don't have
access
to cfadmin and it's a chore to get those that do make the change.  Does
anyone know if using J2EE session variables will give the desired behavior
in CFMX7 and CFMX8 environments?

Thanks!

Warren Koch