Returntype can simply be "datasource", in your example, which specifies the
type without having to worry about the path, so that may be an option:

<cffunction name="getDatasource" access="public" output="false"
returntype="datasource">

From: "Hunsaker, Michael Scott" <mhuns...@indiana.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:30 AM
To: "cf-talk" <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>
Subject: RE: Referencing Variables

Thanks for the input.  So what about using relative paths?  We are
implementing a stronger development environment and these component
references will change depending on the server.  We are searching for ways
to make the code more flexible so we can easily move from one server to
another.

Thanks for the help!!

Mike