So this was a weird one... the error is resolved, but I was wondering if
anyone could explain what was causing my error.

I had a query that was timing out (its one of those nice long monster
queries - so I'm not pasting it in its entirety) - but when I copied/pasted
out of the cfcatch.sql (from error thrown on timeout) into SQL Query
Analyzer - or another template, it completed in under a second.

In the query there was a join that looked like this -

LEFT JOIN tableA on ColX
<cfif condition...>
= ColY
<cfelse>
= ColZ
</cfif>

Changing it to either of the following resolved the issue
Solution 1:
LEFT JOIN tableA on ColX <cfif condition...>
= ColY
<cfelse>
= ColZ
</cfif>

Solution 2:
<cfif condition...>
LEFT JOIN tableA on ColX = ColY
<cfelse>
LEFT JOIN tableA on ColX = ColZ
</cfif>

So I'm assuming there was something going on related to the carriage return
following "ColX " - and in addition to the two solutions above, the process
of copy-pasting also must have resolved it.

If it makes any difference - I'm using SeeFusion for monitoring and so all
my datasources use:
JDBC URL:
jdbc:seefusion:jdbcwrapper:{jdbc:macromedia:sqlserver://server1:1433;
databaseName=dbname; SelectMethod=direct;
sendStringParametersAsUnicode=false; MaxPooledStatements=1000};
Driver Class: com.seefusion.Driver

Anyone have any idea on the root problem?

Thanks!
charlie