Well, by doing some research on the Solr boards and lists, I was able to figure
out the problem. It appears to be due to CF committing after every cfindex tag
and this causes Solr to open a new searcher and "auto warm" it (load from
cache). If you are committing more frequently than the warming process, these
searches pile up and you hit the error. So if you have a page that runs a lot
of cfindex tags (as my unit tests were) you can easily hit this error. Problem
is, I'm not sure how we can work around this easily. I tried setting the
autoWarmCounts to 0 to see if I could reduce the startup time (and since my app
does a lot more indexing at runtime than searches so slow startup is not a big
issue) but I still hit the error when the number of searches exceeded the
maximum set. I could try setting the limit for warming searches higher (setting
it to 10 for instance fixes the problem with my tests) but that supposedly is a
bit of a performance killer. In cases where my users are adding a batch of
these data elements that I'm indexing, I'm almost certainly to bang into that
limit again. In my case, it may mean we simply cannot use Solr for this, unless
there's someway to batch the commits and just do one single one at the end of
the request. What we need is something like a cftransaction tag for the cfindex
tag.

--- Mary Jo