> I'm showing my newbie-ness here but would Java offer a way out of this
> problem? The vendor offers JAva examples
> (http://www.acasystems.com/en/web-thumb-activex/faq-convert-html-to-image-in-java.htm)
>  and I'm wondering if it
> would be (easily?) possible to compile a JAR that exposes the relevant
> functions of the DLL?

You're not really showing any newbie-ness here, most CF programmers
never have to worry about this kind of stuff.

My guess is that this could work if you could compile Snap.cpp with a
64-bit compiler. However, that basically moves your problem from Java
to C++. I don't know enough about C++ on Windows to definitively
answer that question.

http://www.dnjonline.com/article.aspx?id=jun07_access3264

I don't think that you can invoke a 32-bit native program from a
64-bit JVM JNI call.

Honestly, my final recommendation would be to look for an alternative
to this library that's written in Java.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.