Do you have many queries (especially queries ran very often) that do not use
cfqueryparam? Those symptoms remind me of system I worked in once where most
of the queries were not using queryparam or any other form of binding - and
as a result sql's query cache was filling up too often... though I'm sure
many other things could be the culprit : )

What recovery model is your db using?