From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2000 2:55 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: figleaf.com

> having to specify the "www." isn't all that silly.... what if a
> site is also
> running an ftp server gopher server, etc. for a domain.... then you'd want
> to force the www

If a user wants to get your ftp or gopher server, then they can enter the
full URL. This is just a simple DNS issue we're talking about. Forcing users
to enter the "www." when all they want is your website causes many, many
people to think your site is either broken or gone. Witness all the
big-league sites that advertise their domain withOUT the www these days, and
you'll understand why more and more users are leaving it off.

Anyone here go to ebay.com? Yahoo.com? Microsoft.com? How often do you type
the www. for sites like that? I'd hazard a guess that at least 1/3rd of the
general population leaves it off, and at least half of them won't know to
try the "www." when the first attempt fails.

-ron