That's ridiculous.
You don't have to enter every possible misspelling, but you should always set up
www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com at the same time. It adds about 1 second of work and
gains you perhaps 30% more visitors. Where DO you point mydomain.com? At your FTP
server? At your firewall? Nowhere? What good does that do anyone?
If you really care about getting users to your site (and if you don't why do you
bother having a site?) you WOULD enter possible misspellings, .com, .net, .org
versions, with a '-' and without a '-' if the name is multi-word.