I've been wrestling over these same considerations
the last few weeks.

My take:

If you're good with HTML/CSS/CF/jQuery, use that...build
a hybrid app and use it as a web-app or use PhoneGap to
deploy it as a native app to multiple platforms.

If you're not good with jQuery or Javascript, then you
might want to look into FLEX or AIR or whatever else these
guys on the list will recommend.

I've decided to build my iPhone and Android apps as hybrid
web apps.  I'll have to give up some integration with phone
functionality that a native app would be able to access, but
nothing that is critical.

However, I can build in HTML5/CSS3/CF/jQuery use PhoneGap to turn it into a
native app and access native phone features, and compile to
run on multiple platforms. I can then include it in the various
platform app stores.

I also decided not to use jQuery Mobile (at this point, at least)
because of issues trying to figure out how to get AJAX functionality
running through its page structure.  I run jQuery AJAX all the time
with no problem, but was having trouble figuring out how to make
it work within the "multiple page per document" structure.  Just my
lack of ability to comprehend it, I'm sure, but the docs, as has
been mentioned, are completely lacking in any depth.

I hope I've got this all figured out... it's time to get some work
done!  Enough research! :oP

Rick