> Does anyone know if you are opening and writing to Word files from within a
> coldfusion .cfm file do you have
> to have Microsoft Word installed on the server or does Coldfusion use the
> tool from the clients PC.  I know a
> long time back that for some reason we had to install the tool on the server,
> but we are trying not to do that
> if not necessary.  Thanks for any help with this.

This depends on how exactly you're reading and writing Word files. If
you're using the native functionality in CF (CFDOCUMENT, for example)
it's not necessary, although OpenOffice may be necessary for some
operations.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/9.0/Developing/WS56EA2935-FBD2-4089-8402-FDDA2BAF55FB.html

If, on the other hand, you're using a COM-based solution, that will
probably require MS Office.

In no case does CF use the client's PC for any of this.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsit