I know that Solr was working on this for its next release (I was
looking over 6 months ago). This would allow free text geographical
searching which may be overkill for what you need but may be able to
just do what you're looking for too.

It may also be worth looking at your db engine, some have spatial data
types that support distance calculations and such.

HTH

Dominic