sorry I didn't read all of your post, I see your final paragraph asking if
you must do this, and the answer is yes.
however do not run CF as an administrator as this will open up your security
and allow every cfm page to run with administrator access, you need to run
it as a limited user that can only do what you need it to do.

see this security white paper

http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/pdfs/coldfusion_8_product_security_brief.pdf

Russ