> Does MS Excel 2007 need to be installed on the server to generate xlsx files.
>
> My tests points to yes but was wondering if there was another way round this,
> as would like to keep the apps down to a minimum on the production server?

Well, according to the docs, CF doesn't use MS Office for any
CFSPREADSHEET functionality. However, the docs don't mention support
of 2007-specific OpenXML document formats (.xlsx, .docx). Apache POI,
the library that CF uses for most of this, does support those formats.

I don't have a lot of experience using the 2007-specific formats, so I
can't say from experience one way or the other.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/9.0/Developing/WS56EA2935-FBD2-4089-8402-FDDA2BAF55FB.html

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.