A cross table is definitely THE standard way to do it.

Although it is not considered "good practice" by database ayatollah,
a delimited list may be an option when a "reasonable" number of possible values
is involved.
there are several advantages:
1º it is simpler to update in the database in case of modifications (only one
field in one query);
2º the list is return directly in a list of checkbox input fields.
3º the select query returns directly a list, I'm still looking for a way to get
directly a list in a query using a cross table.
4º CF is especially well equiped for list manipulation.
However you have to make sure that the number of possible values cannot get too
large in the future.

For instance I use this technique for registration to activities in a
convention.
Participants will never attend thousands of activities, even in a 15 days
convention.