Nah, WordPress is just slow. Clicking Dashboard takes up to 5 seconds for me
on the hosted version consistently.

And WordPress does seem to do some pretty intelligent ( though slow as crap
) caching on every change to any of your content, which is worth it to them
and their scale I'm sure but annoying to users.

I just logged into my WordPress and made a 1 sentence change to a post from
earlier today to verify, it was about 5 seconds before the post was updated
and I got a response from the server.

That with speedtest.net reporting 22 Mbps down and 4.84 up with cloud
streaming in Zune and no other network traffic active.

Don't get me wrong, WordPress is great. But it's not anything astounding.
And it is slow.