No, you cannot do

<cfset this.clientStorage = application.gs.clientVarDataSource />

You might get away with that after the application has already been init'd,
but even then it would be a false positive and would stop working as soon as
the application timed out or the application server was restarted.  However,
you *can* do something like so:

this.clientStorage = getClientStorageDatasource();

function getClientStorageDatasource()
{
     // read your xml file and extract the variable
     return theDatasource;
}

HTH