Rick,

You want to make sure you upload into a temporary directory that is outside
of the web root first, otherwise as Leigh pointed out the mime type could be
spoofed, and the file could be executed before you've even had a chance to
perform any other validation on it. The link got truncated in my email:
http://www.petefreitag.com/item/701.cfm

Once the file is in the temp directory you can give it a new name and move
it under the web root after you have performed your validations.

--
Pete Freitag - Adobe Community Professional
http://foundeo.com/ - ColdFusion Consulting & Products