> I'm scheduled to talk CF on a pretty big .NET podcast, and one thing that
> will likely come up is the idea that CF
> predates ASP, and likely the subject of the attempted acquisition of Allaire
> back in the day will come up. Does
> anyone know anything solid about this? I want to make sure I sound half-way
> knowledgeable, and the best I've
> come up with are:
>
> http://www.tophosts.com/articles/?3016.html
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20031204233900/http://meet-the-makers.com/conversations/allaire/

I don't think you're going to find a more authoritative source for the
acquisition attempt than Jeremy Allaire and Adam Berrey. The other
information is accurate as well, as I remember it. I tried out dbWeb,
and it wasn't as good as CF 1.5. Microsoft did acquire Aspect,
released DBWeb, then dumped it for ASP 1.0 (I don't know anything
about the ASP 1.0 codebase coming from i-Whatever).

Oddly enough, there's still dbWeb documentation on the MS support site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155412

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.