Easier said than done. :) We recently played with MRTG and some of the
extensions that are part of the distribution.

It was easy enough to get MRTG up and running: we had it monitoring the
throughput on one of our Cisco routers and dumping the data to the RRDTool.
However, we wanted to monitor bandwidth utilization by IP address using
Cisco's IP Accounting. We never did get that working properly. This despite
the fact that several MRTG extensions (hacks) distributed with MRTG that
supposedly handle this.

I think this is because the current incarnation of MRTG (even using the
RRDTool) is not very extensible. However, I think this is mostly due to
complexity of SNMP itself (yeah, I know what the acronym stands for :). It
didn't help that we have no good Perl programmers on staff.

To make a long story short, if you are not very knowledgeable about SNMP and
don't have a terrible amount of time to devote to it, I wouldn't try to
adapt MRTG to whatever you are going to do. If you don't know Perl, skip it
all together.

I am interested in Lewis Sellers' CFX_TCPClient. I wonder if one couldn't
write an SNMP wrapper in the form of a CFML tag. Of course, a fairly good
working knowledge of SNMP would still be required.

Benjamin S. Rogers
Web Developer, c4.net
voice: (508) 240-0051