What is your deciding factor?
sheer power
branded or unbranded
price
good support and customer care from the manufacturer

most of my life I have built my own and replace my own components as and
when required, then you have no-one else to blame when things go wrong. This
also used to be a lot cheaper.
Nowadays there is not any money to be saved by building your own if you are
going for a top of the range system, however you do have the luxury of
building it exactly how you want and put all your money into the important
components.
For a development machine your priority should be on: lots of fast memory
(8GB is ideal), fast hard disks (SSD or hybrid), top of the range mobo with
fastest ports and buses and built in hyper-v suppoer, 802.11n dualband wifi,
fast cpu (quad core).
Obviously graphics and sound and a super expensive case wont be that
important to you, so you can go budget on these things or just use the  ones
that come with the mobo.
I highly recommend Antec cases and PSU's.

but the problem you face buying a branded machine is that you cannot go
opening it up and replacing components if you want to keep your warranty. So
if something fails then you need to send it back to the manufacturer.
Sending your computer back sucks and u will often have to pay for that, so
better to go with someone who does onsite support and repairs.

Here are the vendors I have experience with.

novatech
Really good company, good service and support, will generally replace things
without quibble, they seem to have have a good rep for this if you read
reviews
I have bought several cheap workstations from them that lasted for years,
but I have personally never had to return anything. They do their own
branded stuff now too.

Dell
Very good quality machines, with lots of neat little extras.
All components are proprietary and you need to go through DELL
to replace everything, they are all however high quality components.
Their support and customer service seems to be hit and miss, when it is bad
is is really bad, but when it is good it is awesome.
I bought a new Dell XPS laptop, which is a fricking awesome laptop, it is
more powerful than my desktop with a pretty decent 5.9 windows 7 performance
rating.
The pre-sales support was abysmal, I couldn't order on the site as something
was broken, and spent weeks sending them emails and getting no response,
people promised to call and didn't, their call centre is also based in
India. So communication is a bit of a problem.
However the after sales support has been good, I had a problem with my mobo
beeping, an enginner came out to my office and replaced the mobo, free of
charge. It did not fix the problem, so Dell repalced the whole laptop, again
free of charge, and even sent me the new one first so I could copy across
all my data and then picked up the faulty one at my convenience.

Acer
I have had an acer laptop, and the screen went orange and Acer wouldn't do
anything about it. I know someone who works at acer who tells me they are
awful, they have known problems with their system and happily ship them out
with these issues and will do anything to avoid fixing or replacing and will
generally try and charge the customer.

HTH