big files are going to take a long time to upload, this is just a fact
of life i'm afraid. most peoples broadband speed has much slower
upstream than downstream, changing protocols is not going to suddenly
make things faster.
The FTP protocol is intended for file transfers yes, but on single
file uploads I don;t imagine you will see a big difference.
You can of course test it for yourself, upload a file to your server
using a form then do it via FTP and see how long each method takes.
You will never be able to exceed the slowest speed in the connection,
whether it is at the client end or at the server end or inbetween.