True...but issue at hand is, literally, one high-traffic page that takes a
url variable, uses it to look up a row in the DB, and returns a tiny bit of
HTML. That's it. Not a whole lot of room for improvement there.

As an aside/follow-up, further research did result in an interesting
finding:

We use pingdom.com to test said page once per minute from servers all around
the world. Average response time (end-to-end) is approximately 260 ms. I was
tasked with reducing that number.

We purchased and installed FusionReactor and one of the many things it
illuminated today was: average *server* time (elapsed milliseconds from when
CF first "hears" request until CF has passed HTML back to IIS) is about
20-30 ms!

So, while it's useful for me to screw with JVM, etc to reduce that average
(and, more importantly, to make sure that we don't have "spikes" where page
consumes lots more server time), we've also started a conversation with
RackSpace netadmin types to determine whether there might be steps we could
take to improve bandwidth.

Thanks for all of your help!