Well, I figured it wasn't the root cause, but when debugging, I try to
get rid of anything that may be an issue.

So yea - you can't do an XHR request to another domain. That's basic
browser security. If you are building a mobile app via PhoneGap, that
restriction goes away, but in a regular browser, mobile or not, you
can't do that.

You can use JSON/P though.