It really depends on the DBMS in question. I am unclear from your message
if you're talking about SQL Server specifically (it seems like you might be
asking if SQL Server is the only DBMS you can use AD/LDAP authentication
with, to which I would say "no").

For AD with SQL Server in CF7, you can construct a connection string which
I believe will allow you to authenticate with LDAP. I've never had to do
this though. On my own installs I just allow the CF user to have password
authentication, and at my job someone else manages that bit.

Here are a couple directions I'd go in if you're talking about a DBMS other
than SQL Server:
MySQL -
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1329963/using-ldap-ad-for-mysql-authenication
PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/auth-methods.html