As a general rule in life, I believe, everything in moderation - The
extremes on either side will always get you into trouble.

Modern servers have tons of RAM, session vars, especially vars that are
just strings, are pretty light weight. It's hard to imagine making common
senses use of them causing issues with the server. However, on the other
side, if you got a guy storing every moment of every customer interaction
in a session struct, you've got the definite potential for problems.

Based on what you've told us, it sounds like this guy might have
some architectural problems in his designs for you apps. I'd start with him
by going over the realistic use cases for the data he is storing.

It's likely he has a good reason for storing huge forms in the
session(there are plenty of reasons to do that) - but maybe you
need to look at how long those vals need to be persisted - if they need to
be, I'd move them to a temp database and just carry a reference to the vals
in the DB in their session.

=]

--
Alan Rother