There is an addon in cydia for those who jailbreak that helps. It's called
ContactPrivacy, and it's free.

Now that jail breaking has been ruled not to be DMCA-violating, and it's crazy
simple to do, those who are concerned about privacy should learn about that
option.

What you've described here is a violation of Apple's rules. You should "Report
a Problem" to let Apple know that it bothers you. I wouldn't call it common or
even understood as acceptable that developers would do that. I certainly don't.

--
~ Mike Stemle, Jr.