The easiest and least obtrusive way i can think of  would be to build the
pagination into the page, as if you wanted it to function like it was
paging without ajax.

Then, use a jquery load call for the link, here is the doc for jquery
load:  http://api.jquery.com/load/

The key javascript call looks like this:

$('#result').load('page.cfm?page=2 #result');

This basically says go get page.cfm and find the container with ID result
and load it into the div with ID result on this page.  Then result needs to
be the wrapper around the table / content you are paginating.