you do not need to go anywhere near the cfadmin to use custom tags.

CF will first look in the current folder for the custom tag, if it is not
there then it will look in custom tag paths,
You can set per application custom tag paths in your application.cfc or you
can use CFIMPORT to import custom tag libraries.

although if you cannot access your cfadmin it seems you have some other
issues to worry about.