For those of you using virtual servers, how much CPU/RAM are you allocating to
run your CF applications?

The IT department says we don't need more power because, statistically
(according to the VM tools), we don't need it. However, it is my believe the
apps will run much faster and CF/Java will be able do a better job of
maintaining memory used by the JVM. Overall, our applications are running quite
well with our current config (2 CPUs & 5 GB of RAM), but the occasional long
running report, or heavy lifting scheduled page will consume too much of the
available memory bringing a server to its knees.

Of course, we can always go back and optimize code, but at some point you reach
a point of diminishing returns. Focusing our programming resources on less than
0.1% of the code... wouldn't it just be less expensive to throw some (virtually
free) additional processing power at the problem. How can that possibly hurt
the situation?

We have searched around and haven't found any VM/CF related articles or blogs
to support our case.

Any ideas, advise, or experience out there? Thanks!