> We're trying to determine what would be the most effective way to do "fire
> and forget" logging in our CMS / CRM system.  The goal is to improve
> performance by not having the page loads have to wait for the logging
> portion of the code.  We would like it to be a usable solution on CF
> Standard 9 (and possibly earlier versions).  We've used cfthread a bit for
> this and it works pretty well.  But, the concern is that CF Standard limits
> the number of threads you can use (to 10, I think).
>
> We've looked at using an event gateway too, which seems like it would be a
> great solution but my understanding is that this is also throttled to some
> extent on CF 9 to some extent.  So, I'm not sure if we would face a
> bottleneck problem that way.
>
> Are there other alternatives that we're not thinking about?

Perhaps you could do the logging in onRequestEnd, after returning the
page to the browser using CFFLUSH? The user wouldn't have to wait, in
that case, although other users' requests may end up in the queue a
bit longer.

You might also spend some time minimizing the work that logging does.
Are you logging to a database? Maybe you could defer that, and write
to a file (should generally be faster), then later on use a scheduled
task (or some other alternative outside of CF) to read the file into
the database.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or on