You are aware - I hope - that when you resize, you have something like
8 or so options for quality versus speed. Have you tried simply
"moving down" to a faster, but less quality, resize? By default CF
uses the best looking resize. Try something lower.

That being said - yes - you could consider cfthread. You could also
use a scheduled task that simply processes a 'chunk' of images from a
directory every 15 minutes or so.