I'm giving feedback on a colleague's paper containing the following line:

"Cold Fusion is written in JAVA which means, generally, that a ColdFusion
program will run slower than a program written directly in JAVA.....  If speed
of the application were the primary consideration, PHP or JAVA is the clear
choice."

Now maybe I'm just used to hearing ColdFusion marketed as leveraging Java's
speed; I suppose it makes sense that any extra layer is going to cost something
in performance.  A measurable difference, though?  And since CF compiles to
Java, and native Java would have to be compiled, isn't it possible that running
CF is effectively identical to running Java?

I can't find any proof of this assertion one way or the other.  Does anyone
know the answer?

Thanks!