Hi list.  Long time lurker -

In the course of investigating a SQL injection attack attempt on our site, I
came across a strange set of bugs.   Using CF9, linux 64, apache.

The attacking machine was sending POST requests to random templates containing
ampersands inside a POST variable (i.e. not properly URL encoded).     I am
able to simulate the effect of the attack request with this:

<cfhttp url="http://any_site.com/any.cfm"; method="POST">
        <Cfhttpparam name="userid" encoded=no value="1064001&quot;"
type="formfield">
</cfhttp>

ColdFusion freaks out on seeing this and throws an exception before it even
gets to the template:

ROOT CAUSE: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at
coldfusion.filter.FormScope.parseQueryString(FormScope.java:355

HTTP 500 is sent to the user.

That's all fine and well, and if that was the only issue here, then no big
deal.   Unfortunately, at least on linux (I can't test other platforms), this
error then proceeds to destabilize the JRun thread the next time a user loads a
page and touches that worker thread, throwing the error:

09/06 22:41:41 error (JRun Service: ProxyService
[jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService@75602291]) JRunPRoxyServer.invokeRunnable:
java.lang.IllegalStateException

This other user, who had nothing to do with the original attack, gets sent an
HTTP 503 error message as the thread terminates on them.

What happened is that the attacker on our site sent hundreds/thousands of these
malformed requests (through some mis-configured bot program), which has
resulted in disruptions to regular users who are getting 503 errors forced onto
them.

So, I was curious if anyone else has seen this behavior before, and if so what
can be done to stop it.   Is there an underlying issue that has been patched
that I'm not aware of?   I note that there have been similar reports of related
instability of threads: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/950350 but this seems to
be a different case.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.