Hi, Terry...

My perspective, after creating a couple of real estate
mobile sites which make heavy use of ColdFusion, is that ColdFusion
has little to nothing to do with whether or not a site is mobile.

ColdFusion simply puts content on the page in raw form.

The work of making a site mobile is done mainly in the CSS realm.
(CSS3 to be more precise...)

I use HTML5, ColdFusion, jQuery, and CSS3 to design and develop my
mobile sites.

But before you start down the path of making mobile sites (smartphone)
that are designed separately from their tablet, and desktop brothers
and sisters, let me encourage you to delve into Responsive and Adaptive
Site Design.  I think this is the future.  Not only does it make developing
for multiple sized devices simpler, it allows you to keep all the "sites"
or should I say "adaptations" of the site under one domain, instead of
site.com for desktop, site.mobi, for another one of the versions, and
m.site.com for another.  It becomes very difficult for site owners to
promote all those domains and subdomains to customers.

Responsive and Adaptive Web Design & Development, again, keeps everything
under one domain and that also helps a lot with SEO/SEM.

So, do some searching for Responsive Web Design and Adaptive Web Design,
learn the distinctions (they're not that different), understand them
and you'll be off to a good start.

Just some thoughts to help you get start on a journey of change that I
started about a year ago and am still working on getting figured out.

Hope this helps!

Rick