Thank you for your reply,
but that sounds like a bug then, doesn't it? I mean there is no db problem as
such, it just so happens that the db server may need rebooting from time to
time.
Would the same happen if a network error was to occur between CF and the db
server?

You mention cfthread, do you mean a general CF thread of the cfthread tag
specifically? I'm not using the cfthread tag if that's what you mean.

I admit I don't understand the difference between what I am encountering and
DSN failing. If the datasource is unavailable (even temporarily) isn't that
something that can happen fairly naturally? It seems to be a huge issue to me
that such an incident can effectively bring down the entire CF service :-/

Unfortunately I run CF Standard. Will check out Fusion Reactor. Could you
explain what this will allow me to do apart from finding the source of the
problem (which in this case I am 99% sure is related to the DB server being
offline temporarily).

Cheers

Stefan