> Dave, do you know if there's a good reason they'll all stuck in the same
> dir, as opposed to hierarchically? I suspect it's just an oversight / it
> not occurring to them on Adobe's part, but perhaps it needs to be this
> way?  It's always bugged me.

I don't know if it's an oversight. I think it's easier than the
alternative, which involves creating subdirectories based on some
naming scheme, then figuring out how to traverse them, etc.

> Our app will stick about 80000 files in that dir if we let it (which we
> don't).

Yeah, that directory can get really crazy - I've seen cases with
several hundred thousand files which is s l o w.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.