You can't add a class to the cftooltip tag itself. Personally, I wouldn't use
the CF UI tags. You'll get more control using any of the many tooltip jQuery
plugins out there. That said …

You can always add a style inline using the style attribute. I assume there's a
reason you're not doing that.

Use Google Developer Tools to see the actual HTML rendered by CF and JavaScript
saw (in CF10):

tooltip is in a div with class of yui-tt, so you can do something like the
following:

.yui-tt {background:blue;}

Of course, this would be global. Multiple tooltips, each with their own style?

The text you hover over is enclosed in a span, with an id of
cf_tooltip_(somerandomid). The tooltip itself is in a div with the span's id
appended with "_cf_tooltip". Wrapping <cftooltip> with a div makes it easy to
perform specific tasks on that tooltip:

<cftooltip
    autoDismissDelay="5000"
    hideDelay="250"
    showDelay="200"
    tooltip="Hey I am a tooltip generated by CF!">

    Hover over me please

</cftooltip>

Then use jQuery to act on it and set a class: (assuming you've setup .redbg in
your CSS)
<script src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.8.3.min.js";></script>
<script>
$(function() {
        $('#gotcha').mouseover(function(){
                el = $(this).find('span[id^=cf_tooltip_]');
                tooltipId=el.attr('id')+'_cf_tooltip';
                $('#'+tooltipId).addClass('redbg');

        });
});
</script>

Problem: the tooltip div isn't created until it's called the first time, so the
first time, it'll have the default style. May be a way to cancel the mouseover
event the first time, set the class, and then re-fire.

Billy Cravens
bdcrav...@gmail.com