First off, happy new year all!

I'm sure the answer to this is really simple but I've been banging my head
against a wall for a few hours so thought I'd ask my friendly neighbourhood
gurus.

I have a database table that needs to store currency symbols both as HTML
chars (%pound;), text code (ie. GBP) and the symbol (£)

The database table has the fields as UNICODE (nvarchar) and when I manually
paste the rows in via windows and SMSS I can put in currency symbols and
every other strange character I could find including japanese chars and
other stuff. They are all stored by SQL just fine and I can return the data
in a cfquery without any issues.

However when I try and run an insert query via CF, for example:

insert into currencies
(title,code,symbol,htmlsymbol)
values
('Pounds','GBP','£','£')

The £ gets converted to ??

When I insert it as N'£' I still get question marks but these have black
diamond shaped boxes around them.

I thought it was the database collation or something but as I said I can
type these characters into the table in my SMSS console and they are saved
without a problem.

We're running a linux CF server and windows database server, could that be
the problem? If so is there anyway I can get it working? I'm really
struggling to understand this problem so if anyone has encountered it
before and knows a solution or can point me in the right direction for some
reference material then I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance ;