To answer your second question, yes, you can do it programmatically. But
you need Admin API access. You could perhaps ask your host to write the
script for you and place it someplace under your site root where you don't
have read access on the file system (since the script would have admin
credentials) but you would have the right to execute it via the web. That
script would be - literally - 3 lines of code or so.