It's curious that this was not an issue for updates 1-7, though it's
possible I applied those when coldfusion was still running under the local
system account.  I applied all the updates to the main instance first then
created my additional instances... then changed the services to run under a
non-priviledged account.  CF probably has to stop and re-start services in
order to complete the install but it's unable to.  I guess. :)

Rick