To be clear, this was not advice to skip "all the good stuff". This was
advice to skip _one_ portion of CF's feature set. :) I believe, as do many
others, that the Ajax UI stuff ends up being more harm than good if you
ever plan on doing *anything* custom with the front end JS. It certainly
works well for some, but my advice is to avoid it in almost every situation.

I also like to be sure folks understand that I'm saying the Ajax UI stuff
should be avoided, not the plumbing that works rather well, ie the
returnformat=json stuff for CFCs. Being able to use my CFCs for Ajax apps
is probably my favorite feature of CF.