I tried to verify this customer "issue", but have been unable to replicate.

CF 10 server with session minimum 20 minutes and maximum 2 hours. Customer
service has a cfapplication tag with 24 hours for the session timeout and
is stating sessions get dumped every few minutes.

This is happening since recently moving from a CF8 server. Some of our old
servers have been set to crazy things like 2 day maximum for session
timeouts to accommodate a customer request like this. Yes yes, I know how
horrible this is especially on a shared environment, and I have schooled
everyone on the why nots and do update them when I come across one and our
new platform is audited regularly to prevent these changes. We empower our
support team and this does bite you sometimes.

Anyway...

Customer stated they didn't have time to really track how long between
session drops are, so this may just be a case of being used to going days
without session drops by their users because of the previous server
settings.

Either way, question is has anyone seen this behavior where drops occur
with a cfapplication timeout larger than the server max?

Also I thought if I had cfapplication set to a session timeout larger than
the server, sessions would use the maximum from the server. In this case it
may be using the minimum. Or have I just always misunderstood this?

Byron Mann
Lead Engineer & Architect
HostMySite.com