> We have processes that assemble reports from as many as 6 individual queries.
> Currently the queries run sequentially so the
> related report cannot be assembled and displayed until after all queries have
> completed. Users often have to wait several
> minutes for their report. They are not happy about that.
>
> We are considering trying cfthread to run queries concurrently and then
> assemble and display the related report after the longest
> running query completes.
>
> Is this a viable use for cfthread or is it meant to be used for unrelated
> processes?
>
> Is anyone using cfthread as described above? Have you seen noticeable
> improvement in performance? Is the cost in complexity
> of the code worth the improvement in performance?

Yes, that sort of parallel processing is a common use case for
CFTHREAD, and it will improve performance for that user's request. Of
course, it typically also means you can't process as many user
requests simultaneously - it's not magic - but if that's not a problem
then you should be all set.

Alternatively, you could use a single CFTHREAD that does all the work,
and the user could do something else instead of waiting for the report
at all - for example, the CFTHREAD could generate an email with a link
to the report.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.