Java 1.6.0_17 has several of security issues, so you probably do want to
update java, BUT you need to make sure you have applied the latest
ColdFusion hotfixes first because Java 1.7 support was only added a few
months ago via hotfixes.

You don't want to overwrite the C:\ColdFusion\runtime\jre JVM, you want to
install the jvm in its own place, and then update the JVM path in your
ColdFusion administrator or jvm.config file.

--
Pete Freitag - Adobe Community Professional
http://foundeo.com/ - ColdFusion Consulting & Products