If you are looking to not reinvent the wheel...

For our marketing messages, we use Marketo. Their reporting has stuff like
bounce, open rates and some other details. I don't believe Marketo has an
smtp relay, you basically maintain email lists in their console and render
messages from there. Also nice in that they handle unsubscribes.

Sendgrid is more a pure smtp relay, but I believe they have more detailed
reporting on bounce rates, and etc. They have an api for integrations. We
have recently started to refer some customers there, who require reliable
messaging in bulk. Aka, non spam spammers, whom get our mail servers
blacklisted.

Byron Mann
Lead Engineer & Architect
HostMySite.com